Monday, January 28, 2008

Open Your Box 10: Collaborations

Continuing in the spirit of musical hybrids (see the recent bootleg special), I've picked out a few random collaborations for your consideration. First in the set, Robyn has, seemingly for no reason, turned Snoop Dogg's latest bump-and-grind anthem into a duet. The revised "Sexual Eruption" is an unlikely, yet undeniably fresh combination of Snoop's synthesized verses and Robyn's sultry vocals. Taken from the soundtrack to the Bob Dylan biopic I'm Not There, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Calexico make an unexpected but perfectly fitting match on a cover of "Just Like A Woman," with their delicate acoustic backing paralleling Charlotte's fragile voice. House music superstars Faithless brought R&B singer Estelle on board for their single "Why Go?", a catchy club track featured on their greatest hits set. Last up, Kylie Minogue shows up once more, this time alongside Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Recorded during her time with indie dance label Deconstruction, "Where The Wild Roses Grow" is a dark slow song featured on the Bad Seeds album Murder Ballads.

Snoop Dogg Featuring Robyn, "Sexual Eruption" [zShare]
Charlotte Gainsbourg & Calexico, "Just Like A Woman (Bob Dylan cover)" [zShare] (from the soundtrack album I'm Not There)
Faithless Featuring Estelle, "Why Go?" [zShare] (from the compilation Forever Faithless)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds & Kylie Minogue, "Where The Wild Roses Grow" [zShare] (from the album Murder Ballads and the compilation Ultimate Kylie)

***Note: Links removed***

Digg!Add to Technorati Favorites Save to del.icio.us!

3 comments:

Guy Ruben said...

Of course only you would have the new Robyn and Snoop! You're thee best!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I loved 'Where the wild roses grow' when it came out. I can visualize the video in my head now :)

And I love the robyn take on Snoop's song. Its kinda weird, yeah, but fresh and somehow works

joe*to*hell said...

where the wild roses grow is kylies BEST work. besides her face work, that is