In the run-up to the release of Goldfrapp's upcoming fourth album Seventh Tree, I thought a round-up of some choice 'Frapp mixes would be appropriate. The featured remix is the soon-to-be-released Maps version of their latest single "A&E." It's a dreamy take reminiscent of some of the mixes from the Felt Mountain album (though I wouldn't count it among their best remixes). The Gui Borrato remix, on the other hand, drags "A&E" into the clubs to great effect, but I didn't include that to prevent giving too much away. Also in line with Goldfrapp's more downtempo material is M83's excellent remix of "Black Cherry," which managed to perfectly mesh M83's layered, emotional electronics with the beauty and delicacy of the original track. The re-released "Strict Machine" single saw it get a whole new remix package, including a great, albeit predictable, club treatment by Benny Benassi. The commercially-unavailable Steve Angello remix of "Number 1" is one of their finest club moments, turning the already synth-loaded original into a chopped-up house monster. If you like these mixes, check out their full-length remix album We Are Glitter (I purposely didn't include any of those here). Released exclusively in the US, it features mixes of tracks from their superb 2005 album Supernature from a wide range of contributors including The Flaming Lips, Múm, Ewan Pearson, Carl Craig, the DFA, Benny Benassi and more. While it (or this post) won't be able to cover all of their best remixes, hopefully you've just whet your appetite and decide to seek out more.
"Black Cherry" (M83 Remix) [zShare]
"Strict Machine" (Benny Benassi Sfaction Edit) [zShare]
"Number 1" (Steve Angello Mix) [zShare]
"A&E" (Maps Remix) [zShare]
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Mixed & Mashed 08: Goldfrapp
Labels:
Mixed and Mashed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
As always, thanks for throwing out some Goldfrapp love. I can hear the Benassi remix before it even starts, so I won't rush to that one, but the Maps remix of A&E is fine, if unspectacular. Then again unspectacular Goldfrapp is better than most everybody else's typical stuff. Reminds me of 1986 Cocteau Twins with a bigger beat, and that's a compliment.
Thanks again!
yeah the goldfrapp originals nearly always supass the remixs but like hearing it in a new way.
love the blog too, only found it the other day when searched for a robyn remix! x
Please, add my Goldfrapp Blog on your links list! :-)
I really like your blog by the way.
thanks so much for these. i can't wait for the new album. :)
Would you be so kind an reupload the M83 Remix of Black Cherry? Thanks a lot!
I'll re-upload the remix this once, but please just use the zShare links once the main links expire (it's the same file and those are there for that very reason)! I can't keep updating old posts with new links or I'll never get around to doing new ones!
Hey!
Goldfrapp have an exclusive stream of their album "Seventh Tree" on myspace until the 27th of Feb : )
Check it out here: www.myspace.com/goldfrapp
Thanks,
Daudi
www.myspace.com/myspace_uk
Post a Comment