Friday, January 18, 2008

Open Your Box 09: 12" Rarities

My record collection is already growing much faster than I had planned on (it's at 7 LPs and 9 12" singles after three weeks!). At this rate, I'll be broke, albeit well-versed in cracks and pops in their all their analog glory, by the end of the semester. Before my music addiction finds me unable to pay for an internet connection, I'll try to unleash some lost vinyl gems for my fellow enthusiasts. I've finished my first round of vinyl-to-mp3 conversions and have unearthed a few rare tracks. I was lucky enough to come across the 1985 12" pressing of New Order's greatest single ever, "The Perfect Kiss," while browsing a random used vinyl store in Hillcrest this past weekend. On the A side is the full, unadulterated original 12" mix of the song, released no where else. "The Perfect Kiss" has been featured on countless New Order releases, but only on the 12" is it completely unedited (their classic Substance compilation edits it down to eight minutes, while its parent album Low-life and most greatest hits discs cut it in half and leave out an entire verse). As if that wasn't enough to satisfy lovers of the rare and unheard, I also grabbed Madonna's second-ever single release, the double A-side "Burning Up"/"Physical Attraction," featuring an extended 12" mix of the former that didn't make her debut album. Last, check out the exclusive vinyl-only bonus track from the new album Lust Lust Lust by The Raveonettes (still not out yet in the United States, the vinyl comes with cool 3D glasses!). Once you've recovered from the initial onrush of ecstasy, download and enjoy!

New Order, "The Perfect Kiss" (Extended 12" Version) [zShare] (from the 12" single)
Madonna, "Burning Up" (12" Version) [zShare] (from the 12" single)
The Raveonettes, "My Heartbeat's Dying" [zShare] (vinyl-only bonus track from the album Lust Lust Lust)

***Note: Links removed***

Digg!
Add to Technorati Favorites Save to del.icio.us!

No comments: