I came up with this post after seeing a shirt at Urban Outfitters with a lightning bolt-like stripe that reminded me of David Bowie's look circa Aladdin Sane. It's said that the album's title track is a pun on "A Lad Insane," and found Bowie wondering who could possibly love someone who couldn't quite figure himself out or even really keep it together very well. In the same vein, The Beatles' better-known "Nowhere Man" is a classic anthem for anyone feeling lost. More recently, Gnarls Barkley were ubiquitous with "Crazy," their ode to crazed artistry. If I can link these three very different songs somehow, I know I'm not totally out of my mind (but that question can be left for later).
David Bowie, "Aladdin Sane (1917-1938-197?)" [zShare] (from the album Aladdin Sane)
The Beatles, "Nowhere Man" [zShare] (from the album Rubber Soul)
Gnarls Barkley, "Crazy" [zShare] (from the album St. Elsewhere)
***Note: Links removed*** Save to del.icio.us!
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Classics 12: A Lad Insane
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment