
The last mixtape I made had so many contenders that I had to craft a follow-up. A similarly alternative rock-based selection with a twist, this playlist continues the themes of contemplation, unanswered questions and timeless dilemmas (especially of the heart and loneliness). It's a long one, so I won't comment on every pick. Opener Suede's "Beautiful Ones" gets things off to an upbeat, albeit slightly bitter, start. Stereophonics' hit single "Dakota" is a hopeful ode to a flame, like similarly optimistic "This Time Tomorrow" by The Kinks. Red Hot Chili Peppers' classic "Scar Tissue" and The Raveonettes' "Heartbreak Stroll" are more pessimistic about past disappointments, as is Alanis Morissette's essential "Ironic." Desperate pleas for stability from Camera Obscura ("I Need All The Friends I Can Get") and Oasis ("Stop Crying Your Heart Out") balance the inward reflections of Tori Amos ("Taxi Ride"), The Flaming Lips ("Ego Tripping At The Gates Of Hell") and Blur ("Tender"). The message behind Nouvelle Vague's "Dancing With Myself" is worth hearing, and perfectly describes my state of mind at the moment, alongside Pulp's "Common People" with its desire for normalcy. Delicate ballads from R.E.M. and U2 bring up the end of the mix, which stand among their best works ("At My MOst Beautiful" and "The First Time," respectively). Don't be surprised if the recent flood of blog post inspiration dries up soon, but for the moment enjoy another premade compilation.
1. Suede, "Beautiful Ones" [YSI] (from Singles)
2. Stereophonics, "Dakota" [YSI] (from Language. Sex. Violence. Other?)
3. Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Scar Tissue" [YSI] (from Californication)
4. The Raveonettes, "Heartbreak Stroll" [YSI] (from Chain Gang of Love)
5. Camera Obscura, "I Need All The Friends I Can Get" [YSI] (from Let's Get Out of This Country)
6. Coldplay, "White Shadows" [YSI] (from X&Y)
7. Tori Amos, "Taxi Ride" [YSI] (from Scarlet's Walk)
8. The Kinks, "This Time Tomorrow" [YSI] (from The Darjeeling Limited [Soundtrack])
9. Oasis, "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" [YSI] (from Heathen Chemistry)
10. Pulp, "Common People" [YSI] (from Hits)
11. Nouvelle Vague, "Dancing With Myself" [YSI] (from Bande À Part)
12. Alanis Morissette, "Ironic" [YSI] (from Jagged Little Pill)
13. Blur, "Tender" [YSI] (from The Best Of)
14. The Flaming Lips, "Ego Tripping At The Gates Of Hell" [YSI] (from Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots)
15. R.E.M., "At My Most Beautiful" [YSI] (from In Time: The Best of 1988-2003)
16. Cat Power, "Maybe Not" [YSI] (from You Are Free)
17. The Velvet Underground & Nico, "I'll Be Your Mirror" [YSI] (from The Velvet Underground & Nico)
18. U2, "The First Time" [YSI] (from The Best of 1990-2000)
***Note: Links removed***
Save to del.icio.us!
1 comment:
Hey there,
I am building a blog spot to post updates of mixtapes, mixes, shows, dj mixes etc.
Can I just post your latest update`s on my blog spot?
If you mind, let me know.
In the future you can post your update`s yourself and i will post them on my blog.
I only post the links to your site, NO deeplinking.
And if you want to support me you can put a back link on your site
Thx and keep up the good work.
Mixdigger
Post a Comment