Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Dear Ibiza 09: Synth-tastic

Since the sun has at last decided to show its face again in Berkeley, it's time for some big synth-loaded club anthems. Near the top of my list of favorite remixes is Jacques Lu Cont's awesome remake of Gwen Stefani's debut solo hit "What You Waiting For?". Packed with enough bass and 80s-throwback beats to brighten any listener's day or night, it's the closest Gwen will ever come to being a dancefloor diva. Next on the list of hot mixes is the Tiefschwarz dub of "Kinda New" by Spektrum, which featured on one of my favorite dance compilations, Hed Kandi's Twisted Disco 02.04, a few years back. Its razor-sharp beats make for perfect late-night club music. Keeping up pace with that the deep bassline of that mix is the Steve Angello & Sebastian Ingrosso remix of "49%" by Röyksopp. After an almost interminable build-up, it turns into a roaring club track suitable only for the most ambitious clubgoers. Last, but far from least, is the anthemic club revisioning of Goldfrapp's classic "Number 1" by the consistently-amazing team of team of Alan Braxe & Fred Falke. As if the original didn't already have enough synthesizers for an entire room full of new rave acts!

Gwen Stefani, "What You Waiting For?" (Jacques Lu Cont's TWD Mix) [YSI]
Spektrum, "Kinda New" (Tiefschwarz Dub Mix) [YSI] (from the Hed Kandi compilation Twisted Disco 02.04)
Röyksopp, "49%" (Angello & Ingrosso Remix) [YSI]
Goldfrapp, "Number 1" (Alan Braxe & Fred Falke Main Remix) [YSI] (from the remix album We Are Glitter)

***Note: Links removed***

Digg!Add to Technorati Favorites Save to del.icio.us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree about the Gwen Stefani track - I listen to it whenever I want to feel motivated during the day. It is so cheery and relentless (I even use the "tick tock - tick tock" refrain as my alarm clock on my phone).

Unknown said...

OMG! I have been searching and searching for that Gwen remix.

You've made my day!

AWESOME BLOG by the way - I'd say my taste in music is pretty eclectic or odd, but I love all of this stuff. Love your work!

NvW... said...

angello/ingrosso = madness!!!
http://open-ur-ears.blogspot.com/2008/05/sweden-has-mafia.html