Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Attention: 2007 Music Blog Zeitgeist

At the end of the year, the music blog aggregator Hype Machine (of which this site is a member) rounded up the best of lists of a number of its contributing bloggers. As I had put together a series of "Best of 2007" lists (see them all here), I submitted my rankings of top singles and albums. Hype Machine's top tracks list is based on the hottest tracks on that site for each month, so my list didn't end up counting, but my album rankings did contribute to the overall list for the 2007 Music Blog Zeitgeist. Here are how the albums I picked fared in the comprehensive survey (follow the links to see how other blogs ranked them):

Best Albums of 2007:
1. Róisín Murphy, Overpowered: #169
2. Amy Winehouse, Back To Black: #23
3. Kylie Minogue, X: #152
4. Groove Armada, Soundboy Rock: #232
5. Mark Ronson, Version: #109
6. Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Trip The Light Fantastic: n/a
7. Björk, Volta: #65
8. Manic Street Preachers, Send Away The Tigers: #214
9. Charlotte Gainsbourg, 5:55: #216
10. Feist, The Reminder: #8
Honorable Mentions:
The Chemical Brothers, We Are The Night: #172
Girls Aloud, Tangled Up: #179
Stéphane Pompougnac, Hello Mademoiselle: n/a
Disappointments:
The Smashing Pumpkins, Zeitgeist: #103
Calvin Harris, I Created Disco: #190
Air, Pocket Symphony: #239

Overall, it's pretty obvious that most of what I listen to isn't what's typically considered "cool" or in any way "indie" blog fare (some of those rankings are based solely on my vote!). Clearly, that doesn't matter much, though, or you wouldn't be reading this! Cheers and bring on 2008's new music!

Digg!Add to Technorati Favorites Save to del.icio.us!

2 comments:

Juan said...

hey, i just discovered your blog through hype machine! your blog has captivated me for hours, something that rarely happens. you have great taste in music, and i might or might not think that because it's basically like mine. i'll definitely keep coming back :)

Guy Ruben said...

I think your taste is pretty cool esp since i tend to enjoy the same shiz! You're awesome!