
I originally wrote a different "Tender Ballads" post as the next installment in the series, but due to recent listening I had to write a completely new one. I've been giving Sinéad O'Connor's famous cover version of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U" far too many spins over the past week. Despite its intensely depressingly message of hopelessness and desolation, it's somehow lifted my spirits and alleviated some hard times. While it's only very recently been added to my iPod's ballads playlist, it's arguably one that defines what it means to be a "tender ballad." Also on repeat on my ballads playlist is Mandy Moore's "Gardenia." Taken from her more mature recent album
Wild Hope, it is hands-down the best thing she's ever recorded. A truly heart-wrenching ballad, its simple instrumentation and powerful vocals defy any expectations of the former pop puppet. Following a similar theme of breakdowns and desperation, Tori Amos's "Jackie's Strength" is one of her finest tracks, epitomizing why so many love her with its smart lyrics, addictive piano melody and universal messages of feeling lost and utterly alone. Last up, Nancy Sinatra's much-covered classic, "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)." A favorite of mine for a while, it showed up on my playlist after a long absence after I watched
Kill Bill Vol. 1 again after my midterm. Stripped to the barest instrumentation, it relies on its catchy, haunting lyrics to hit home. After listening to these tracks, you'll be glad I posted so much Kylie and Róisín Murphy!
Sinéad O'Connor, "Nothing Compares 2 U" (Prince Cover) [YSI] (from the album I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got)
Mandy Moore, "Gardenia" [YSI] (from the album Wild Hope)
Tori Amos, "Jackie's Strength" [YSI] (from the compilation Tales Of A Librarian)
Nancy Sinatra, "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" [YSI] (from the soundtrack album Kill Bill Vol. 1)
***Note: Links removed***
Save to del.icio.us!
2 comments:
I've wanted BANG for a while now, Spank you!
I don't think I've ever heard Prince's original version, eep. It's just that Sinead's version is just so incredible and raw. Thanks for the reminder!
Post a Comment