I had the inspiration for this new section while walking home from class and listening to none other than ex-"Ginger Spice" Geri Halliwell. She definitely rests atop my list of ultimate guilty pleasures. Sadly, most will publicly deny taking a fancy to some of their most embarrassing favorites, but I find that there is no use pretending in some cases - everyone needs their guilty pleasures!
Geri famously walked out on the Spice Girls right before their sell-out US Spiceworld tour. Soon afterwards, she released her debut single "Look At Me" (a schmaltzy mess that turned heads, but just missed out on the number one spot in the UK). She followed it up, however, with four consecutive number one hits, each one sassier (and trashier) than the last. The last of those, her cover of "It's Raining Men," went on to become one of the biggest international hits of the 2000s (even without a US release). Since then, her popularity has waned, and her third record flopped harder than Glitter. I still can't decide whether to categorize her run of hits as golden pop moments or just the work of some really effective marketing teams. I'll leave that debate up to you, but in the meantime...
Geri Halliwell, "Look At Me" (from the album Schizophonic)
Geri Halliwell, "Mi Chico Latino" (from the album Schizophonic)
Geri Halliwell, "It's Raining Men" (from the album Scream If You Wanna Go Faster)
Geri Halliwell, "Ride It" (from the album Passion)
(And don't worry, I won't tell anyone!)
***Note: Links removed*** Save to del.icio.us!
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Shameless 01: Geri Halliwell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment