Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dear Ibiza 16: Vitalic

This is a post I've had hanging around in draft form for over a month now. In case you're unfamiliar, Vitalic is one of the new wave of hot French electronic musicians. Along with David Guetta, Sebastian Tellier, Bob Sinclar and countless others, Vitalic works hard to supply the rest of the world with ace synth-driven music. His productions have a more electro flavor and often a darker edge to them than most of his contemporaries, as amazing selections like "Poney, Pt. 2" and "La Rock 01" display. Also taken from his first album OK Cowboy, the singles "No Fun" and "My Friend Dario" are right up there with the leaders of contemporary electronica. Vitalic has also started gaining momentum over the past few years for his out-there remixes. Röyksopp's seminal "What Else Is There?" gets turned into a weird, eerie extended cut, while Björk's "Who Is It?" is transformed into a hard-driving electro track on Vitalic's rare white label rework. Also notable are mixes for Daft Punk and Moby (also included here). I can't wait to see where he goes with his next record!

From OK Cowboy:
Vitalic, "My Friend Dario" [YSI]
Vitalic, "No Fun" [YSI]
Vitalic, "Poney, Pt. 2" [YSI]
Vitalic, "La Rock 01" [YSI]

Vitalic Remixes:
Röyksopp, "What Else Is There?" (Vitalic Mix) [YSI]
Björk, "Who Is It?" (Vitalic Mix) [YSI]
Daft Punk, "Technologic" (Vitalic Remix) [YSI]
Moby, "Go" (Vitalic Remix) [YSI]

***Note: Links removed***

Digg!Add to Technorati Favorites Save to del.icio.us!

4 comments:

Connorhalo said...

Hey, thanks for posting about Vitalic! Just stumbled across your blog and I love it! I'm going to add you to my blog list immediately.

One note though, I'm not sure I'd label Vitalic as 'new'. I started spinning him back when the whole electroclash thing hit back in 2002along with Fischerspooner and Miss Kittin.

Nevertheless, great blog!

Cheers,

Connor

Guy Ruben said...

Ok i get it, Connor is cooler than ALL OF US!!!

This was a fuckin stellar post! I love it when you school me on an artist with a nice chunky body of work! Lots of gems in your birthday post too!

Glad your harddrive is up and runnin!

probablyrustin said...

I wasn't really calling Vitalic as an artist new, I just meant that he is a part of the new wave and trends of French electronic music, dating back about to the early part of the decade. I've been a fan for a while too, and by now "OK Cowboy" is getting kind of old (at least in dance music terms). I don't know if I'd call him "electroclash" necessarily, but that's a tough call.

Connorhalo said...

Yeah, a lot of the stuff that got lumped in with the electroclash scene wasn't really electroclash was it?

I remember Adult. getting really mad at being called electroclash and I kind of agree. There were multiple movements going on and it seems like anyone with a keyboard was suddenly 'electroclash'.