Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Reviews and Previews: New Music Flood, Part I

As promised, I'm back with some good stuff. The first of a two-parter, here are five artists with noteworthy new music out now or coming soon. First and foremost, Santogold has just released her excellent self-titled debut album. Often compared to M.I.A., Santogold is like a more restrained, streamlined version of the singer. Santogold is already up there with my favorite new albums of the year after only a few initial listens. Also check out her collaboration with Mark Ronson on a cover of "Pretty Green." Next up, check out some Kleerup tracks doing the rounds on a promotional sampler for the dance artist. M83 are back with a new album Saturdays=Youth, a shift into the more alternative-rock side of shoegaze. Moby takes his sound back to the basics of club music on Last Night, featuring the addictive new single "Disco Lies." Last, but maybe most-hyped, is Scarlett Johansson. Later this month, she releases her debut record, an album of Tom Waits covers with one original. The songs are, perhaps surprisingly, very well done, and definitely worth a listen.

Santogold, "You'll Find A Way" [YSI] (from Santogold)
Santogold, "I'm A Lady" [YSI] (from Santogold)
Mark Ronson Feat. Santogold, "Pretty Green" (The Jam Cover) [YSI] (from Version)

Kleerup Feat. Titiyo, "Longing For Lullabies" [YSI]
Kleerup, "Thank You For Nothing" [YSI]
Robyn with Kleerup, "With Every Heartbeat" [YSI] (from Robyn)

M83, "Graveyard Girl" [YSI] (from Saturdays=Youth)
M83, "Kim & Jessie" [YSI] (from Saturdays=Youth)

Moby, "Everyday It's 1989" [YSI] (from Last Night)
Moby, "Disco Lies" [YSI] (from Last Night)

Scarlett Johansson, "Anywhere I Lay My Head" (Tom Waits Cover) [YSI] (from Anywhere I Lay My Head)
Scarlett Johansson, "I Wish I Was In New Orleans" (Tom Waits Cover) [YSI] (from Anywhere I Lay My Head)
Scarlett Johansson, "I Don't Want To Grow Up" (Tom Waits Cover) [YSI] (from Anywhere I Lay My Head)

***Note: Links removed***

Digg!Add to Technorati Favorites Save to del.icio.us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kleerup Is Amazing. I Heard Of Them From Robyns Track, But Never Really Listened To There Stuff. Do You Have Anymore? Im Loving Them Right Now.
- Floozy

Anonymous said...

seriously thanks so much for always take the time to post great music. you've got stellar taste and its much much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Tunes...enough said

The Matt and Dan Show
http://www.myspace.com/themattanddanshow