I realize it's been about a month now since Goldfrapp's latest album Seventh Tree came out. I've been meaning to do a review of it since its day of release, but, unlike their very immediate last album Supernature, this one is definitely a grower (somewhat justifying my extreme delay). A far cry from the glittery disco synths of Supernature, as well as the underground cabaret vibe of the near-perfect Black Cherry before it, electronic duo Goldfrapp's fourth record is most in line with their debut record, the subdued soundscapes of Felt Mountain. Trading in booming dancefloor rhythms for acoustic guitars and sparse folk instrumentation, its a radical change that easily sets them apart from other electronic acts out there. Upon first listen, it seems like their winning streak may have been broken, with the melodies failing to instantly take hold and a firm overall impression of the record proving elusive. With only one more try, though, the many layers of Seventh Tree begin to unfold. The abstract, incomprehensible mumblings of opener "Clowns" are frustratingly catchy, while "Little Bird" rivals "Utopia" as one of their greatest downtempo numbers, with its soaring second half and haunting lyrics. Second single "Happiness" clarifies the album's somber themes with its highly-addictive musings on love and happiness, though it isn't the radical sonic departure that some of the album's other tracks clearly are. The middle segment of the record blends together a bit, which has become fairly typical of their albums, though it does hold together remarkably well as a cohesive record throughout. "A&E," the album's first single and unmistakable standout, elevates Goldfrapp to an entirely new plane with its sheer beauty and simplicity. The last section of the record gets unexpectedly upbeat, with the majestic "Cologne Cerrone Houdini" and the optimistic single-in-the-making "Caravan Girl" upping the tempo before "Monster Love" rounds out the record on a reflective note. While an unexpected move, Goldfrapp's abrupt switch of focus on Seventh Tree makes sense. It's a record for when the dancing stops and it's time to examine reality, and in that sense is a departure from even the lush territory of Felt Mountain, which seems like a distant fantasy world compared to the dark musings of Seventh Tree. A highly recommended addition to your collection! For fun, here's a hilarious home video made by Rex The Dog for "Happiness." His recently-commissioned remix of the single, despite being quite good, was for whatever reason rejected by Goldfrapp and their label and won't be on the release, much to the dismay of fans who caught on in their dance music heyday (myself included).
I adore this album wich is very delicate, it's a pure moment of pleasure. Thank you for your review, I'm belgian (near France) and speaking French I exercise my English ;-)
I clearly love music, and fully advocate legally supporting artists. The songs on this site are to help get the word out on some great music, and are for preview purposes only (so you too can go out and support the featured artists). If you or someone you know would like me to remove a track, contact me at probablyrustin@gmail.com. Thanks!
1 comment:
I adore this album wich is very delicate, it's a pure moment of pleasure. Thank you for your review, I'm belgian (near France) and speaking French I exercise my English ;-)
Post a Comment