Thursday, October 23, 2008

Attention: Le Sigh...

The time has come to move on to other things. This blog, Different Is Dangerous, my year-old pride and joy, may be no more as of the end of this month. I have painstakingly gone through every one of my 260+ posts and removed any music files contained there to avoid any further destruction of my work. Thanks to another 8 DMCA notices that came pouring into my inbox this week, I had to act. What bothers me more than anything is that instead of contacting me directly (via the readily available email address that I provide on this home page), the RIAA members behind the takedown of my posts are instead forcing Blogger to entirely delete my posts. Luckily, some of them were saved, so I was able to salvage the reviews and commentary that I've written over the past year (with music links now removed, so all that remains is my personal, entirely legal input). To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what my next move will be. I've become a target for a record industry that is losing profits left and right and wasting resources attacking the problem in the wrong way (like harassment of bloggers like myself). It's a terrible bridge to burn, as there are very few people left in this country who are as passionate about music as bloggers. I've spent thousands on music in my lifetime, yet I committ myself to writing about and sharing my love for the songs for free. If anybody from a label is still reading this, just check out the post below and see how many comments were written in support of what I'm doing. For a blog that gets just 1000-2000 visitors daily, and comments few and far between on most posts, it's an impressive number of replies. The jist of most of these replies is that this blog has inspired listeners to go out and explore the music they've heard. Many readers have actually bought new music and become avid fans as a result of the samples I've posted, as I knew would be the case. It's digital media that are revolutionizing music and getting people excited about artists again, and it saddens me to not only be saying goodbye to the blog as it was, but to even be witnessing this pathetic state of affairs in music.

To all of my readers, thank you so much for sticking with Different Is Dangerous over the past months. I've had an amazing time writing this blog and I can only hope that you've found something to fit or even expand your tastes on these pages. It's breaking my heart to even have to make such a serious decision about my blog, especially given how much I've put into it. For now, the blog is NOT closed, however in whatever form it may continue, it will be fundamentally different. For the sake of nostalgia, take a look back while the blog is still untouched. A lot of the posts have been torn apart by broken links, missing photos and formatting mishaps over time (not to mention deletions and removals), but for now they're still here for the world to see. I repeat that I have not made a final decision as to the fate of this blog, nor have I thought of any alternatives so far. It may stay open with a refreshed format, or I may take on some new venture (and hopefully invite all you amazing listeners along for the ride). Check back sometime next week for the final word. I guess different really was dangerous after all...

Digg!Add to Technorati Favorites Save to del.icio.us!

34 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm sorry......

Anonymous said...

Aw, sad to see you might be going. At least keep blogging! Your blog was great for discovering new music and bringing back old favorites.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with Chris. Through your blog, I've discovered many amazing artist and groups that were new to me, which eventually ended up in me buying tons of their music. I'm sorry about your blog =(

Anonymous said...

i totally agree, christopher.

i discovered a lot of things because of this blog. - bjork, roisin murphy, goldfrapp, groove armada, and so many more...

i also get to look back with old fave tracks you posted.

keep blogging!


-----------------------
lander from the philippines!

Anonymous said...

Hey !
It's really too bad you're quitting blogging. It is great to read from you, you made me discover lots of things. I really hope you can find a way to keep on writing stuff and sharing your love for music. Cause that's what it's all about in the end, right ?
Best of luck. Loïc

musicman said...

hi is very sad this situation i love read your blog many time, sory for eglish im from canada. and im on french county. but i like read your words of music many morning or after job. anyway good luck for all in the future. blackdiamond1@videotron.ca

Konstantinos said...

This is indeed a shame... there was a unique character in your blog/writings/compilations.

Briefs29 said...

Well, it was a great run while it lasted.

And, to the RIAA: congratulations. You destroyed a place for people to read about and enjoy music. You've won this battle but I don't think you realize, the war was lost years ago.

Fluffrick said...

This kind of heavy-handed crap just makes me more determined to seek out new music - the sooner that the music industry dies off the better.

I would much rather pay musicians directly for their work than give another penny to EMI, Universal or the rest of the dinosaurs.

Alicia said...

I hope you do keep blogging, even if you don't share files. It would fun just to read your thoughts about what you're listening to.

It's rare for me to find blogs that feature the kind of music I like, so I'm really bummed about this. And a lot of the songs you've posted are really hard to find (the remixes and b-sides, especially). I don't know what I'm going to do now. Stupid RIAA.

Tanner said...

I LOVED this blog. Job well done. You brought me some pretty amazing party moments.

oboechick said...

it's so frustrating that the music industry continually fails to recognize and embrace the digital revolution.
it allows people to discover and experience new music like never before. and to get upset over music bloggers getting the word out FOR FREE, as in free for the user and free publicity for the record company, is just stubborn and stupid.

the vast majority of the music i listen to frequently and purchase was discovered online.

they're fighting an unbeatable war against the digital age, when are they just going to embrace it.

and, they realy should be thanking you for all the money you've probably made them.

i hope this blog stays around and i hope they get off your back!

Johnny said...

I agree with everyone else. Your blog hit the perfect balance between dance and pop and it seems we had almost the exact same tastes. I would love to see you continue blog, even if it is to reccomend tracks and not share them.

Anonymous said...

certain formats in blogger will keep getting stepped on, even as new developments arise. i doubt this place get outright ripped away from google, though. witness: youtube.

despite that, i can easily see you finding another outlet worthy of putting some love into. this blog has been great, and i hope it continues. for the short time i've been following it, your work here has made my life a happier one.

thank you, sir.
--j.

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

(sigh)

Well, what can you do under the circumstances, as stupid as the RIAA and everyone else has made it for you and lots of other folks.

However, you didn't just post new music (thank you), you commented on it, and that commentary can be the basis of a new-and-improved blog. So if Róisín or Allison or Sophie or Kylie or Sarah put out some new stuff, we'll at least know about it and whether it's worth checking out. Yeah, i know, you'd be pushing music made by the very record companies that are making dumb threats and getting links deleted right and left, but at least the artists will be well-represented. 'Cause we know that the label marketing departments are onto the next 'priority' while you're out getting us interested in new music. Someday the record companies will do a cost/benefit analysis on downloading and fine out people actually buy what they hear, but don't hold your breath.

Anyway, hang in there, and thanks for all the hard work so far...

Anonymous said...

thank you sooo much! i loved your blog! you introduced me to such good music (PZ5?!?!?!?)

and i always love a fellow Cardigan lover...please let us know if you go onto do another blog or whatever!

you are the best!!!

Anonymous said...

This is sad news. I loved your blog and all the trips down memory lane it took me on. Best of luck and don't let the man get you down.

marisol said...

I discovered a lot of great music on your blog. I know that I rarely commented but thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for everything! Sorry you had to get harassed by them. This was truly one of the best out there, but hopefully you'll keep on writing here even if there's no mp3's to discover, but you should still write up recommendations :)
Good luck

Anonymous said...

What a shame! The record industry still has no clue how to promote music in a complete changed music world.
I love your blog!
And the music you've posted.

The music industry has ruined its business single-handedly.
Not blogs, because if they had cooperated with blogs wisely and interacted with bloggers the industry could have gained a lot more than they have lost - till now!!!
Music is promoted here - for free!
I'm really devastated - and sad!
A sad day.

Unknown said...

Sorry to see you go, I'll keep your feed listed, be sure to post if you have a new outlet for your music reviews! I love your taste! Don't let this get you down too bad.

Anonymous said...

The so-called music industry is a slowly dying beast that's unaware it's in the throes of its own death.

Making a blog such as yours, that only posts a couple songs by any particular artist, is such a feeble gesture and only highlights their cluelessness.

All they're doing is trying to put band-aids on a bullet wounds, and hopefully someone, somewhere, will realise this soon and do something that's actually constructive for both the artists and fans alike.

Best wishes to you.

Anonymous said...

I just want u to know..u have fans all the way in Asia....and ur blog is by far the best one ard , not only with the choice in music but the commentary as well.......

Even though I do not comment much....I really appericate the amt of ahrd wk and effort that goes into uploading the songs and writing every entry....

Anonymous said...

so sorry:(
thank you so much for all your work and inspiration and opening my world to new music.
i am a dj who buys everything i hear & like, but if it weren't for blogs i would be so limited because i don't have the time to sit and listen all day. i knew i can find out "what is up" in music with you.
good luck and thank you;)

Hopeless Optimist said...

I'm sorry to hear this. The music industry has become like politics and organised religion; more interested in milking the masses than reflecting their needs, interests and desires. I am not at all surprised that you were approached in such a cowardish way. I hope you soon find another way to express your wonderful taste in music!

Hopeless Optimist x
http://roisinmurphy.blogspot.com/

Jenn [Sunshine] said...

Everyone's said it pretty much for me.

Keep up the effort somehow. Don't falter in the blogging. And Nihil bastardi coborundum, or something to that effect. It means Don't let the bastard get to you in Latin.

You were different, and dangerous. And it was all good.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Well I loved your blog!!! Too bad :(

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all you time and hard work. It was great!

Anonymous said...

I've loved reading your blog, you champion all the artists that i love and have introduced me to some great music that i hadn't heard before, i'm one of the few people that i know in the UK that goes out and actually buys music, and i wish that the powers that be would realise that they sould be surporting music lovers not attacking them.
i think you did a much better job of promoting Kylie's last LP than her record company did and i think they should realise that bloggers like yourself are cheaper and more sucsessful marketing tools than pressing up 1 track cd promos for their reps to then sell on ebay.
I really hope you carry on blogging as it really is a joy to read your thoughts on music.
Wishing you all the best,
Heather.

[thg] said...

Yeah, this is happening to my blog too.
Blogger keep deleting my posts.
Thank you for the great work and hope you don't give up (I'm trying not do do it...)
cheers

Anonymous said...

damn, I really liked this blog. Please continue in someway shape or form.

Anonymous said...

I miss this blog.

Anonymous said...

It is too bad that the RIAA is shutting you down. But what does this say about the industry? Those who stand to lose the most (pretentious artists, label managers, promotional peeps, etc.) are the ones with big bro and big money on their side. Do these people who produce the music that you hold so dear really represent you? (I am saying that you should re-think your selection of artists) I am hoping that, over time, big industry will alienate enough people that the music industry will be changed into something that supports more local artists/fans. Forget the mass hysteria that made you go out with the rest of america and buy your ipods, that is a bunch of trash. The whole music blog thing is out there to help out where it's really needed. You know, the ones without the big$$$ advertisement accounts.

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog and also the presented downloads. I already knew Roisin (and own all her CDs), but through you I also discovered some remixes, which are hard to find on CD or Vinyl.

Moreover, I also discovered more artists like Roisin... To sum up, you made me buy CDs I didn't know that they are out somewhere. That's the irony on this story...

I will miss you