
Inspired by a forthcoming Saint Etienne compilation album and an old Lily Allen single, I decided to do a quick post on songs about London. As
previously mentioned, the quintessential British trio are documenting their long career in an updated best-of compilation,
London Conversations: The Best Of Saint Etienne, due out in the next few weeks internationally in several editions. As another taster, I've included their sprawling classic "Avenue" (included here in its full mix; an edit will be on the new collection). Lily Allen has a less optimistic view of the brighter days in the city on her infectious second hit "LDN." Pet Shop Boys slow their normal tempo and go acoustic on the somber "London," one of my favorites from the duo. Coldplay bring their trademark stadium grandeur and contemplative musings to "Cemeteries Of London," while Variety Lab take a lounge house look at a rainy day in England on the great "London In The Rain." There are definitely more London conversations out there (in my library and probably yours), but these should be a nice sampling for now.
UPDATE: The links have all been taken down thanks to a DCMA complaint that Blogger received about some of the songs (I'm not sure which). This post wasn't one of the three mentioned in the copyright complaint, but it went missing today so I figured I'd take down these tracks also. Sorry for those who missed out, and to whoever was understandably pissed that I posted the songs up. For future reference, I can be reached directly via email to take down tracks and will do it immediately. To preview the tracks that I mentioned, check out
this blog on Hype Machine.
No comments:
Post a Comment