Friday, September 26, 2008

Mixtape 13: Do You Believe?

For those of you who use iTunes as your main music player, you've probably noticed the strange new "Genius" feature that came with the latest update. Though at times it generates some pretty random playlists, it's actually a pretty cool way to explore your library based on a single track, especially when you have as many songs as I do (and hardly realize what songs are hidden away on your hard drive). This post wasn't a direct result of a "Genius" playlist, but Cher's "Believe" showed up when I hit the "Genius" button for Everything But The Girl's "Missing" (recently posted in its ubiquitous remixed form) and decided to roll with it. By some fortunate chance, I was able to find 15 tracks in my library about faith and belief that are all great. After the classic Cher opener, Kylie shows us her contemplative side on the mesmerizing, Scissor Sisters-helmed "I Believe In You" from a few years back. George Michael used to be a big deal in the music world, as pop standards like the extremely catchy "Faith" can attest to. The electronic segment of the mix kicks off with Simian Mobile Disco, on their epic "I Believe," and hits a high on The Chemical Brothers' post-millennial rave-ready "Believe." Little sister Dannii Minogue concealed the love cry "Do You Believe Me Now?" on her limited-release Club Disco record, but the collaboration with Roger Sanchez is worth looking into. Madonna generally tunes out of her album promotion campaigns by the third single, so the best track on Confessions On A Dance Floor, the thumping "Get Together," wasn't the hit it deserved to be. Regardless, it remains one of my favorites for its amazing Stuart Price basslines and simple, universal lyrics ("Do you believe in love at first sight?"). New Order broke through to the mainstream with "Blue Monday" but initiated their longtime residency in the ears of the public thanks to "True Faith," one of their finest moments and an absolute touchstone in pop music. Like it or not, everyone knows Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" and it would have been impossible to leave out of such a mix. Cat Power's "I Believe In You," from her latest covers project, can't rival Kylie's eponymous track, but it's a typical, if unremarkable, reminder of her unique presence. Slowing it down towards the end, I Am Kloot clock up yet another haunting, minimal success with "I Believe," and Charlotte Church keeps things smooth on the lilting "Show A Little Faith." Mariah Carey, as always, delivers the keystone ballad of the mix on the stripped-back "I Still Believe." The Cardigans ask "Do You Believe" over a wash of ominous electronics and rough guitars. Mandy Moore closes us out nicely with a cover of "Have A Little Faith In Me" that everyone can identify with. So, do you believe?

1. Cher, "Believe" [YSI] (from Believe) [previously posted]
2. Kylie Minogue, "I Believe In You" [YSI] (from Ultimate Kylie) [previously posted]
3. George Michael, "Faith" [YSI] (from Ladies & Gentlemen: The Best Of)
4. Simian Mobile Disco, "I Believe" [YSI] (from Attack Decay Sustain Release)
5. The Chemical Brothers, "Believe" (Edit) [YSI] (from Brotherhood) [read my review]
6. Dannii Minogue with Roger Sanchez, "Do You Believe Me Now?" [YSI] (from Club Disco) [previously posted]
7. Madonna, "Get Together" (Radio Edit) [YSI] (original on Confessions On A Dance Floor)
8. New Order, "True Faith" [YSI] (from Singles)
9. Journey, "Don't Stop Believin'" [YSI] (from Greatest Hits)
10. Cat Power, "I Believe In You" [YSI] (from Jukebox)
11. I Am Kloot, "I Believe" [YSI] (from Acoustic 05)
12. Charlotte Church, "Show A Little Faith" [YSI] (from Tissues & Issues)
13. Mariah Carey, "I Still Believe" [YSI] (from Greatest Hits)
14. The Cardigans, "Do You Believe" [YSI] (from Gran Turismo)
15. Mandy Moore, "Have A Little Faith In Me" [YSI] (from Coverage)

***Note: Links removed***

Digg!Add to Technorati Favorites Save to del.icio.us!

No comments: