Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dear Ibiza: Comeback Calvin

Though I've admittedly been a bit slow to post about it, Calvin Harris's just-leaked new single blows away all expectations. Catching the ear of countless electro freaks with his huge retro synths and uber-cheesy lyrics, his sound exploded with hits "Acceptable In The 80s" and "The Girls" in 2007. His debut disc, I Created Disco, contained some modern electronic gems, but was largely repetitive and a bit lacking in innovation. Producing some of my favorite tracks of the last two years (Kylie Minogue's "In My Arms" and Róisín Murphy's unreleased "Off & On"), his sound nevertheless failed to progress much, including his production and featured role on the great Dizzee Rascal comeback "Dance Wiv Me" from last year. After working on his sophomore effort for some time now, he's set to make a return from the sidelines this spring. Although not the album's official first single (instead, it's aimed as a forget-me-not stopgap release), "I'm Not Alone" is truly epic. Ditching all his now-overplayed trademarks, "I'm Not Alone" is half acoustic build and half rave monster. After a solid minute of MOR contemplation, the song switches into club overdrive and becomes something else completely. Many cheers to Calvin for completely remaking his style, proving all cynics wrong with an excellent dance track that I for one cannot wait to get in high quality. Preview the radio rip of the track, along with a selection of his older tracks and productions, in the playlist below.

No comments: